- 1 lb fresh Brussels sprouts (larger ones work better here)
- 1/2 cup part-skim milk ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano reggiano cheese, freshly grated
- 1/3 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 of a large apple, diced very small (about 1/3 cup)
- 3 strips maple bacon
- 1/3 cup onion, diced very small
Trim the sprouts and cut equally in half. Remove sprout middles by first blanching cut side down in boiling water for 1 - 1 1/2 minutes, allowing to drain, then cutting into the stem with a small paring knife. Then you should be able to pull out the little ball of "middle," leaving a shell around the edges. Dice/mince/chop: garlic, apple, onion, bacon. Cook the bacon until just crisp, then add onion. Saute them together until onions are soft and translucent, then set aside to cool. Mix the rest of the ingredients together as the filling, adding in the cooled bacon and onions.
Use a tiny sugar spoon to fill the sprout cavities. Really pack in the filling, allowing it to mound up on top.
Set the stuffed sprouts on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake until nice and golden brown - about 20 minutes on 400 degrees F. Halfway through the baking time, sprinkle the tops with a little extra Parmesan cheese. Serve hot.